Tuesday, April 13, 2010
golf and leisure games in physical education
Golf is a game that someone can play and enjoy for their entire life although it can be expensive, it can be valuable for students to learn at a young age. It was not part of my physical education during K-12 however I think students could benefit from learning how to play various leisure sports in physical education class. Not all students are going to enjoy the main core sports that are often part of the curriculum and easy to get involved with outside of school. Introducing students to leisure games can help keep them active for a very long time if students find something they really enjoy doing. I think it would be very beneficial for students to learn these games early on in school.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that golf and other leisure games are important to devlope lifetime activity. Although there may be advantages of starting young, there are often many concepts that are much too in depth for the students to grasp. I do not think that golf should be taught until students can grasp all of the concepts of the game. For instance, a 1st or 2nd grader would not understand how to properly use the hips in a swing.
ReplyDeleteI agree with leisure games. That is my biggest thing as a Physical Education teacher. I agree that there should be skill tests and standards that students need to meet but we shouldn't focus on just that. We should open students up to new games and sports that they can play throughout their life. Instilling a healthy outlook on life for students should be a huge priority, if not that first. Teaching students something that they can use for the rest of their life is a huge accomplishment.
ReplyDeleteIt is funny that you say this because I was just at New Castle High School for 352 field (my old high school) and they are going to be playing golf on Thursday! They are going to have a miniature golf course set up in one of the side rooms and one of my old PE teachers there suggested to the principle that they incorporate archery into their PE program. I think that it is awesome that New Castle is incorporating leisure activities into their PE program because back when I was in high school, we never had that!
ReplyDelete