Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Sex Ed in health class
Sexual education in health class has been a controversial topic in our country for awhile. There are people who believe that abstinence is the only topic that should be covered with todays young students instead of teaching them about abstinence and safe sex. It is not realistic to think that no students out there are going to be sexual active that is why is it important to educate students about sex but also include abstinence in this lesson. This is a hot topic in the health field and religion is often tied into as well which causes problems in certain school districts. As future health teachers we may be at a school district where you are only allowed to teach about abstinence and nothing else. I know for me personally I would not want to have to leave out safe sex because its something the students must be educated about and I would want to include along with abstinence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
In a way, I feel sex ed shouldn't happen in school. It is not the teacher's responsibility to talk to kids about sex. Many schools may require a lesson about sex, which may include abstinence or safe sex approaches. I feel, this is okay, but classes that teach students to put on condoms and actually hand out condoms is ridiculous. That is the parents job! When schools hand out condoms, it encourages students to go out and have sex (in my opinion). If schools want to have a sex ed class (teaching kids how to put on condoms and other things), it should be an optional class. A lot of parents would not want their kids in such a class.
ReplyDeleteI completely argree that sex ed. should be taught during health classes. Like you mentioned earlier, there will be students that will be sexually active. I am not saying that abstinence shouldnt be taught also. I think both should be taught equally. I have definately thought about this, and as P.E. and health teachers this will be a definate touchy subject at any school district. Hopefully when job searching we will find a school that will agree on the diecisions we make in teaching sex. ed.
ReplyDelete