Monday, April 12, 2010

Grading on skill testing in PE

This a topic that comes up in our classes as well as in many different school districts around the country. I believe that students should be graded on the effort and improvement rather than just their individual score. Skill testing is a time when students can feel very uncomfortable around their classmates and it is on the teacher to make sure that all students are comfortable during these tests in class. Teachers should make sure to be private with each individual's score and really emphasis how big of a role effort and improvement play in the student's grades. Physical education class is a place where it is easier for students to feel isolated in front of their classmates and it is up to the teachers to ensure this does not happen so that all students enjoy class more.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you that skill testing should be in physical education classes to an extent. I think that once it becomes a competition and some kids make a big deal out of who can do the skill test and who can't, then I think a new way needs to be found. I just think that some kids are better than others at a certain skill, and use as physical education majors know that too, but a line should be drawn when it in turn makes students upset because they are getting bullied because they are not good enough. I can say that I am HORRIBLE at basketball, so my skill test probably wouldn't be that good. So I could have gotten made fun of in high school for that skill test. I personally would not have taken it to heart, just because I was pretty sweet at running and swimming in high school. Even though we didn't have skill tests on those. But there are students that would take, not being able to do a certain skill to heart, and it could really affect them mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that participation and improvement are very important for grading in a Physical Education class. In schools students should not be graded on the time they can run a mile or how many push ups they can do. If a student is trying everyday that is as good to me as the top athlete beating everyone in class. This is why many kids hate P.E. classes they feel inferior or secluded. If they are not ranked or seperated by skills it would help the atmosphere or a P.E. class

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems to be a common argument in our major, process vs product. Ultimately this is going to come down to the physical educator, but I think it is more important to have the student be active in class rather than assess their ability of those actions. We are supposed to promote wellness through movement, not make a student hate it because they failed a test performing it one day in school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitly agree with skill testing in PE to an extent also. There's many differences between all the students and some are more athletic than others and they shouldn't be grades better because of that. I think as long as the student tries their best and gives a consistent effort in the activity, then they should get a good grade. Giving students bad grades for not being athletic enough will turn students off.

    ReplyDelete